ELI RIDERS CONQUER CRIMSON BY 10 TO 7

Yale Forward Leads Brilliant Assault Against Opponents -- Victors Clinch Intercollegiate Title

New York, N.Y., April 2--A fast-riding Yale polo team overwhelmed the Harvard trio by a score of 10 to 7 here tonight at the Squadron A armory in spite of the Crimson's six-goal handicap lead. So closely were the Harvard malletmen ridden that only twice could they get free to score goals.

Baldwin, the Blue's Hawaiian star, broke through the Harvard riders for a total of six goals. Yale cut down the Crimson lead in the first two chukkers, tied the score in the third, and drove in three goals in the last period for a comfortable lead over their opponents.

Yale's victory tonight came more or less as a surprise to most close observers of the game, particularly in view of the close score to which the Harvard trio had held the Eli riders in their last game. From any consideration of the season's previous scores it would have seemed that Harvard's six-goal lead at the start should have ensured it a safe victory. However, it is not to be forgotten that this same Yale trio had defeated the hitherto unbeaten Optimists only a few nights before and is rated as one of the best teams in the history of Yale polo.

In the nine years that the intercollegiate tournament has been in existence, the Elis have won six of the titles, but this is their first since 1926. Harvard held the cup last in 1929, while Princeton took the championship in 1930.

The summary: HARVARD  YALE H. Nicholas, No. 1  No. 1, Baldwin Gerry, No. 3  No. 2, Mills F. Nicholas, back  back, Rathborne

Score--Yale 10, Harvard 7, Goals--Baldwin 6, Mills 3, Rathborne 2, pony 1. Gerry 1, H. Nicholas 1. Fouls--Baldwin 2, Mills 2, Gerry 1, H. Nicholas 1. Referee--Brady. Time--four 7 1-2 minute chukkers.