MACHALE SHUTS OUT WILLIAM AND MARY, BALL TEAM WINS 7-0

William and Mary Took Game During Spring Trip by 5-1--McGrath Makes Homer and Double

Playing a superb brand of baseball, the Harvard baseball team shut out William and Mary yesterday by the score of 7 to 0. MacHale, on the mound for Harvard, held the Southerners to five hits and walked no one. White, the Blue and Gray pitcher whose twirling helped defeat the Crimson 5 to 1 during the Spring Trip, had little control in the first part of the game. Five bases on balls in the first two innings were largely responsible for the five run lead secured by the Crimson in those stanzas.

The Harvard nine played almost a flawless game. The only error was made in the fifth frame when MacHale was unable to pick up a grounder hit by White. Mays made several difficult stops at second base and Wood, at short, played a fast and efficient game.

Walks Fatal to White

Harvard's scoring started in the first inning. McCaffrey, the first man at bat, was passed by White. McGrath followed with a single and went to second on Maxey's error as McCaffrey scored. After Ticknor struck out, Des Roches was walked and, when Ferrill muffed one of White's pitches, he advanced to third while McGrath crossed the plate. Demarest threw wild and Des Roches also came home, ending the scoring for the first inning.

In the second stanza, with two out, McCaffrey again walked and was driven home a moment later when McGrath hit a home run over Engleburt's head. In the fifth, MacHale got to first on a single and was advanced to second by McCaffrey's sacrifice. He went to third when McGrath was thrown out at first. Ticknor then hit an easy grounder to White who tried to tag MacHale as he was running home, but missed him and Harvard's sixth run was scored. The Crimson's run-getting ended in the eighth when Rex was hit by a pitched ball and came in on a sacrifice by Mays and a double by Wood.

There will be a game with Villanova tomorrow at 4 o'clock and on Saturday the team will face Brown.

The box-score:

HARVARD  ab  r  h  po  a  eMcCaffrey, c.f.  2  2  1  3  0  0McGrath, 1b.  5  2  3  9  0  0Ticknor, l.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0DesRoches, 3b.  4  1  0  3  1  0Rex, r.f.  2  1  0  3  0  0Mays, 2b.  3  0  0  4  3  0Wood, s.s.  4  0  1  2  5  0Sheldon, c.  4  0  0  3  0  0**MacHale, p.  4  1  2  0  2  1  32  7  8  27  11