BALL TEAM IS HITTING HARDER, BUT FIELDING IS BELOW MARK IN 1930

TEAM HITS .297 AND FIELDS FOR .904 WITH 15 GAMES PLAYED

Concrete proof that this year's baseball team is wielding the hickory with better effect than last was obtained yesterday afternoon when the compiled batting averages for 15 games showed the team to be hitting for .297 as compared to .264, the mark achieved by the 1930 nine at mid-season.

Page, southpaw pitcher, leads the batting with an average of .600 but as he has only taken five trips to the plate this season, it seems safe to call Captain McGrath and Ticknor, both compiling .394, the leading swatsmiths. Five of the team's regulars are hitting above .300 while McCaffrey, lead-off man with .297 and Mays with .288 are not far behind. DesRoches Batting .327

DesRoches, veteran custodian of the hot corner, has been worrying opposition pitchers by his average of .327, a mark which might well have been higher had not a spring trip injury temporarily affected his batting eye. The other regulars above .300 are Wood, .317 and Sheldon, .310.

In fielding, the team does not show so well, several loose games having brought the team mark down to 904. McCaffrey Sophomore center-fielder is the only regular with a clean record for 1.000. McGrath, however, who has been handling the second and first base positions is fielding for .905. Last year McGrath was playing 1.000 ball but batting only .310 after nine games had been played. Later he took the Wendell bat as the team's most valuable player. Sheldon's average is .970, Ticknor's .955, and Wood's, .953.

Ticknor Scored 20 Runs

Ticknor qualifies as the leading scorer having crossed home plate successful a score of times. McGrath and Wood take second honors with totals of 16 tallies apiece. Following are DesRoches 10, McCaffrey 9, Mays 8, Rex 7, and Sheldon 6.

Ticknor Scored 20 Runs