BAD WEATHER FAILS TO STOP CREWS IN DOUBLE WORKOUT

Junior is Moved Up From Combination Eight to Second Boat -- Millard is Dropped to Make Room

Red Top, Conn., June 1--Harvard's University, Jayvee, Freshman, and combination crews had their first workouts of the season on the Thames river today in preparation for the races with Yale on June 18 and 19. The weather was cold and it rained the greater part of the day but the four boat-loads of men were undaunted in their enthusiasm to get started on the final stretch of practice. Despite the bad weather both the morning and afternoon workouts were held.

The University and Jayvee crews both went down stream in the morning and in the afternoon, taking things rather easy but rowing a steady low stroke in their two seven-mile paddles. Coach White-side seemed pleased with the first day's work. He made no changes in the University seating but made one switch in the Jayvee lineup.

A. H. Parker '32, who came down here with the intention of stroking the combination eight was switched to the Jayvee boat where he replaced Millard at two. Millard then went to seven in the combination boat. This latter eight was assembled for the first time this morning and already showed vast improvement in the afternoon brush. Coach Haines originally took down four members of the championship Junior Class eight to make up half the boat and four Freshmen to complete it. With the shift in men today the seatings now are as follows:

Stroke, R. H. Martin '34; seven, E. L. Millard '31; six, J. Appel '32; five, Eustis Walcott '32; four, R. G. Ames '34; three, G. R. Heath '34; two, T. B. Knowles '34; bow, Beekman Pool '32; cox, F. F. Jones '34.

While the University and Jayvee eights were taking their longer downstream paddles the combination and Freshman boats also went down stream, limiting their workout to five miles, however. All men reported in good condition and camp life is now running in good order, the managers having had a full day to get things into full swing.

The seatings of the University and Jayvee eights follow:

University--Stroke, G. J. Cassedy '33; 7, Robert Saltonstall, Jr. '33; 6, W. B. Bacon '33; 5, Malcolm Bancroft '33; 4, A. N. Webster '31; 3, J. M. Erickson '32; 2, J. W. Hallowell '31; Bow, W. H. Holcombe '33; Cox, H. H. Bissell '33.

Jayvee--Stroke, T. E. Armstrong '32; 7, W. L. Thompson '32; 6, R. H. Hallowell '33; 5, A. B. Rood '31; 4, F. J. Swayze '33; 3, S. H. Walcott, Jr. '33; 2, A H. Parker '32; Bow, A. L. Nickerson, Jr. '33; Cox, F. S. Holmes '31.