UNIVERSITY AFLOAT TO START ITS SIXTH ANNUAL CRUISE ON OCTOBER 5

FACULTY TO BE COMPOSED FROM NUMEROUS COLLEGES

The sixth annual University Cruise Around the World, offering students the opportunity of combining a program of standard, systematic university courses with the advantages of comprehensive, directed travel will sail from New York October 5, 1931, in the S.S. "Resolute" of the Hamburg-American Line, it was announced yesterday at the office of the University Travel Association, 66 Fifth Avenue, New York City. After completing their 234 day study trip to 33 countries in Europe, the Near East, and Orient, the students and professors return in the "Resolute" May 27, 1932.

Dr. James E. Lough, Dean at New York University for eighteen years, and originator and organizer of the first "University Afloat" in 1926, will again direct the educational program of the Cruise. Dr. Mary S. Crawford, Dean of Women at the University of Southern California, has been appointed to one of the floating college's administrative positions for the year 1931-32. The courses are to be conducted by a faculty of professors and instructors from Yale, University of Oklahoma, University of Texas, and similar institutions.

The curriculum of the University Cruise is limited to subjects which students can study to particular advantage while traveling. Courses in Comparative Government, Modern World History, Sociology, History and Appreciation of Art and Architecture, Economics, Geology, and the Literature of Europe and Asia are among those listed in the catalogue. In scope, method, number of class meetings, and other requirements, courses on the Cruise are similar to courses at land universities. Study trips in the countries visited constitute a part of the required work. Credit for courses satisfactorily completed by students on previous University World Cruises has been given by leading universities in all sections of the United States.

The 1931-32 "University Afloat" consists of two semesters. During the first term students visit ten countries in Europe. Periods of Resident Study are held in the university towns of Oxford, Strasbourg, Innsbruck, Pisa, and Heidelberg, as well as during the Atlantic-crossing in the "Resolute", and classes are conducted on regular schedule. England, Holland, Belgium, France, Germany, Czecho-Slovakia, Austria, Monaco and the Riviera, Switzerland, and Italy are included in this itinerary.

The second semester is held on board the 20,000 ton steamship "Resolute", which the students re-join at Naples. Classes meet daily at sea in special rooms and on deck. During this semester students visit Greece, Palestine, Egypt, French Somaliland in East Africa, India, Ceylon, Prince of Wales Island, Malaya, Siam, the Straits Settlements, Java, Bali, Sulu, the Philippines, Formosa, China, Korea, Japan, the Hawaiian Islands, California, Panama, and Cuba.

The two semester arrangement makes it possible for students to enroll in both terms or in only one term, if they desire to be away from their land universities for less than a full academic year.

The fifth annual (1930-31) University Cruise Around the World, which sailed last fall, is now completing its extensive voyage, and the students and professors are scheduled to return next week.