DR. RICHARDS RESIGNS AS ATHLETIC PHYSICIAN

DR. WORCESTER DENIES RUMOURS OF DISCONTENT

Dr. Thomas K. Richards '15, who for ten years has been surgeon in charge of athletics on Soldiers Field, has handed in his resignation to take effect at the close of this year's baseball season. The news of Dr. Richards' action was learned last night although his resignation was handed in about the middle of the summer. It is subject to the acceptance by the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, whose next stated meeting comes on October 5.

Dr. Richards is resigning to devote all of his time to his rapidly growing private practice, but news of it follows hard on rumours, circulated in the Boston press, of difficulties with some of the Crimson athletes. He could not be reached for a statement last night but Dr. Alfred Worcester '86, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, to whom the resignation was tendered, denied the existence of any friction.

"No Discontent"

In a statement made last night Dr. Worcester said, "Dr. Richards always has been in perfect harmony with the medical department in every way. His resignation was made voluntarily. It has not been accepted as yet. He advised me that he was resigning because of his private practice. There was no discontent ever."

Dr. Richards joined the Harvard staff in 1919, immediately after his graduation from Medical School, as assistant to Dr. E. C. Nichole. After two years of apprenticeship he assumed the position he has had for the past ten years. He is known as one of the most expert of the younger surgeons around Boston and has gained wide recognition. Those who did not know him will recall him, however, as the man who always ran out on the football field first as soon as any Harvard man was injured.

While in college Dr. Richards was football manager and it was at that time that he discovered certain phenomena of the wind currents in the Stadium. He found that there is a wind vortex close to the goal posts at either end and the knowledge of this has aided dropkickers in gaining greater accuracy, even against adverse winds.

Nothing has been said as yet concerning a successor to Dr. Richards. His assistant at present is Dr. N. C. Browder.