THE REST IS SILENCE

The permanent closing of the Drama School, so long trembling on the verge of dissolution, probably ends for some time the attempt to regain for Harvard the eminence of the "47 Workshop." Under the circumstances, its passing is undoubtedly for the best, however much it may be regretted by the members of the school. No institution struggling indefinitely under a crushing financial burden can fulfill its purpose adequately.

Moreover the failure of the school to obtain any financial support whatever indicates that for the present at least there is no strong desire for dramatic instruction at Harvard. No doubt the depression increased the school's difficulty in acquiring funds. Nevertheless a slight response might have been expected if there had been any widespread and serious desire for a drama school at Harvard.

At the same time, sympathy cannot be withheld for the long and fruitless efforts of the faculty of the school. They were handicapped by the University's refusal to grant credit for work done in the Drama school, as seriously as by their financial difficulties. The fact that students in the school also had to carry their full schedule of college courses made it impracticable for many to join who would otherwise have done so. So long as such conditions obtain, it is doubtful if a flourishing dramatic school can be established at Harvard.