VOLTAIRE HAD A WORD FOR IT

The full tide of 1918 swirled in around the props of royalty and rotted out the pediments of thrones. While monarchs trailed off into exile, their kingdoms passed away. And now with the ebb tide of 1932, it has become apparent that not even the quicksands of democracy have been made safe for the world. One monarchical nation, however, escaped the death threes of 1918 and is at present seeking to refurnish the pageantry of its government.

The throne of Italy immediately after the war felt the republican quakes that ran through Europe, but its foundations were renewed and strengthened when a statesman of fortune marched on Rome and assumed command of the country. Since Mussolini stepped out of the wings into the bald light of European politics Italy's King has been a handsome figure for his people to revere--for the opportunity is occasionally given them. But now they have become dissatisfied with just a King, they want an Emperor, a Holy Roman Emperor.

Since the conclusion of the Lateran Treaty in 1929 all obstacles have been removed to the creation of this most ancient, most honored office. Victor Emmanuel III would not increase his territory or his power by the assumption of the Imperial title, it would yield only an added lustre to the House of Piedmont and an increased brilliance to the coronation ceremonies. For these reasons it is impossible for Mussolini to take issue with idea. It is therefore expected that in the near future the Eternal City which has seen so many of the undulations of history may well become the Imperial Capital.

If the suggestion, sponsored by both Facsists and Royalists, can expect little opposition it also deserves little support. The Empire would resemble its magnificent counterpart only in name. The King would receive nothing from it save the difficulty of memorizing several new gestures demanded by an Imperial coronation. The nation itself would gather little benefit beyond the occasional enjoyment of a pomp which is of no circumstance.