"ACCORDING TO MY BOND. . ."

Allogheny College, in experimenting with the re-education of its alumni, will open all its lectures and classes to graduates for a week without charge. Though only an experiment, which time alone can evaluate, it is distinctly an interesting and progressive step. Not to such lengths as Allegheny, other colleges have in one way or another supplied graduates with information through bibliographies, graduate magazines and bulletins, or by pamphlets reporting recent educational developments in colleges and technical schools.

The response from graduates is striking. In general, more than a third have eagerly taken advantage of the preferred opportunities. They have discovered in the reading lists and lectures a chance to renew acquaintances with long abandoned intellectual hobbies, and the news of modern educational trends has served to clear up their ordinarily muddled opinions on that subject. From his own point of view, the alumnus has found much profit oven in the limited activities at his command.

Perhaps a more significant feature, however, is the advantage to both college and graduate accruing from the change of relationship effected by such services. At present, the alumni's interest in their university tends, all too noticeably, to be bounded by athletic jingoism and to find outlet only in class subscriptions or reunion dues. He knows little of the internal mechanism of the college or the trends of modern education. Encouraging the more useful graduate publications will not only establish a warmer contact between college and graduate but will also aid the alumnus to a better understanding of college problems.