FRESHMEN TO HEAR ELY AT POLITICAL MEETING

LUCE SPEAKER AT REPUBLICAN GATHERING ON TUESDAY

Governor Joseph B. Ely will speak at 7.30 o'clock tonight in the downstairs common room of the Freshman Union, in the first of a series of Freshman political rallies. Hon. R. M. Russell '14, Mayor of Cambridge, will introduce the Governor. Mayor Russell will be introduced by D. M. Sullivan '33, president of the Harvard Democratic Club, which is sponsoring the rally.

Governor Ely will be a guest at dinner in the Union at 6.30 o'clock, with Mayor Russell, Sullivan, Deans Delmar Leighton '19, W. J. Bender '27, and Henry Chauncey '27, and the members of the 1936 Union Committee. Deric Nusbaum '36, representative on the Union Committee from Weld Hall, is in charge of the rally.

After Governor Ely's address blanks will be distributed and those men who care to may join the Freshman Democratic Club.

A Republican rally in the Union is scheduled for next Tuesday, at which Gaspar G. Bacon '82, Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, will speak to the '36 men. Robert Luce '82, Congressman from Massachusetts, will also speak. S. R. Callaway '36, Massachusetts Hall representative on the Union Committee, will be in charge of the rally. It is being sponsored by the Harvard Republican Club, under the general direction of R. H. Amberg '33.

A member of the Union Committee is working out plans for a Socialist rally under the auspices of the Thomas-for-President Club. After the political rallies are over the policy of securing faculty speakers to address the Freshmen on topics of interest will be resumed.