Lovett Calls Revolutionary Spirit An Important Source Of Great Literature--Praises Radical American Writers

"My approach to literature consists chiefly in a theory that all literature is based on certain literary values, such as the values of religion, of romantie love, of the family, and of the home," R. M. Lovett '92, professor of English at the University if Chicago said in an interview recently. Professor Lovett was a guest of the Harvard Liberal Club a few days ago at which time he spoke on the Literature of Revolt.

"A literary value that is of primary importance to the present time is the value of revolt. Revolt, rebellion, and revolution have always been important in the making of certain pieces of great literature. This History value may take the form of revolt against religion, of revolt against established forms of government, of revolt against conventional conceptions of the family and the home. The most prolific form of literature based on revolt in our own age is the revolutionary literature of the Marxian movement. An acquaintance with this literary activity is important to every man.

"In this country, the most significant recent event in the development of revolutionary literature is the signing by a group of young writers of a manifesto calling upon intellectuals to vote the Communist ticket this fall. This illustrates the powerful force the literary value of revolt has upon writers. The men who signed the manifesto felt that the economic situation of the world demanded drastic action."