Harvard and City Officials Are at Variance on Possibility of Post-Season Game Here--Lowell Willing To Lend Stadium

Harvard Eleven Cannot Participate In Project, But Boston Braves May Oppose Makeshift Team

At a late hour last night, "official circles" were fundamentally disagreed as to whether or not a post-season charity football game will be played in the Harvard Stadium early in December between the Boston Braves, professional eleven, and an all-star team of New England college players, or between any other teams.

The statements thus far elicited bring to light the following facts: Approximately three weeks ago a resolution was passed by the Cambridge City Council appointing a committee to sound out President Lowell in regard to a benefit post a season game with Harvard Varsity as one of the participants. President Lowell replied to this request, according to Councillor F. V. McMenimen, Chairman of the Committee, by stating that it was against the policy of the University to participate directly in such a game, but that the use of the Stadium would be donated if two other institutions could be found to play.

Last Tuesday, the services for such a game of the Boston Braves, a professional eleven were offered by Goorge Marshall, owner of the team, in a letter sent to Mayors Curley and Russell. L. H. Leary'05, former Harvard end and end coach, was asked by the mayors to act as general chairman of the matter of a charity game for the unemployed, but was not, as stated in Boston and New York papers, commissioned to organize a team to oppose the Braves. Leary emphatically declared last night that the project was still in an embryonic state, that President Lowell's consent to a professional team playing in the Stadium had not been secured, that the offer of the Braves had not been accepted, that no coach had yet been found who would undertake to organize a team to oppose them.

However, J. L. Wray, coach of the Braves, stated that the game would in all probability be held, and that G. L. Casey '19, Harvard Varsity mentor, had been asked to organize an all-star team of senior class members in various New England schools and had not yet definitely declined. He also declared that optimism as to the financial success of the game was warranted by the $150,000 receipts at a similar December charity game in New York in 1930. Coach McLaughry of Brown has also been approached as a possible organizer. Casey, at a late hour last night, said that he would have nothing to do with the proposed game.

Mcanwhile, C. F. Getchell, general manager of the H.A.A., has received no instructions as to whether the stadium is to be donated for the charity game.