MEN NOT OF LETTERS

One of the chief difficulties in minor sports is the fact that a junior varsity player who has made his freshman numerals can receive only numerals again for playing on the second varsity team. This is also true of the assistant managers of minor sports. For a time last year it appeared that some change would be made because of the protests from basketball men, but nothing came of it. The result is that at present former freshmen lettermen who are unable to make the varsity drop the sport rather than play on the junior varsity to no purpose save to be scrubs.

Of course, when a man is out only "pour le sport" he turns House and Intramural athletics where there are no training rules and for which he can come out whenever he pleases. If however, he has gone through the long and often rigorous training and practice required in a varsity sport he feels entitled to have something to show for it. Instead of being given the numerals which he already has won. It would seem to be a very simple solution of this matter for the Athletic Association to award a minor letter with "J V" on it to these men.