VARSITY SQUASH TEAM TRAVELS TO MEET HOPE CLUBMEN IN PROVIDENCE

TWO FRESHMAN SQUADS TO MEET OPPONENTS TODAY

Leaving Cambridge at 12.30 o'clock today, the Varsity Squash A team travels to Providence for the first of its outside matches this year. They will meet a strong aggregation of players from the Hope Club, and cannot win easily. Because of the match today, the team played its regular League match against the Harvard Club last Thursday, in Boston, losing to the experienced graduates three to two. The most exciting game was that in which G. H. Hartford, II, '34 barely eked a win from his persistent opponent, Guilford Stewart, by his accuracy in placing shots out of his reach, and then finally breaking down the latter's resistance. S. E. Davenport, III, '34 scored the only other win from the Clubmen in his five game set with R. B. Merriman, Jr. '27. He finally tired the latter out by continually driving the ball down the side walls. Coach Harry Cowles was on the whole well pleased with the showing of his men, since they were playing in strange courts against the most seasoned team they are likely to meet this year.

The Freshman "C" team plays St. Paul this afternoon at Concord. As has always been the case, the match will be a close one, since their courts are English and have a square, rather than an oblong form. The Freshman "D" team plays the Newton Y.M.C.A. at Newton, this afternoon.

The summary of the Harvard Club match is as follows:

Jansen, (H.C.) defeated Robert Grant '34, 15-9, 10-15, 18-13, 15-9; Perkins (H.C.) defeated J. B. Cornish ocC., 15-6, 11-15, 15-11, 15-12; Hartford defeated Stewart (H.C.), 15-9, 15-12, 12-15, 14-16, 18-17; Davenport defeated Merriman (H. C.), 18-15, 15-13, 9-15, 11-15, 15-5, Sonnabend (H.C.), defeated H. V. Blaxter '33, 15-10, 15-12, 15-5.