UNIVERSITY TELEPHONE EXCHANGE MEDIUM FOR 2500 CALLS EVERY DAY

"INFORMATION" KEPT BUSY WITH 25 QUERIES EACH HOUR

Caged within the ever discreet minds of the three telephone exchange operators on the third floor of Lehman Hall are in all probability many startling though heterogeneous hits of information. Working almost ceaselessly, from 8.30 o'clock in the morning until 5.30 o'clock at night, these efficient, yet human workers keep the academic, social, and clerical wheels of the University steadily turning. In the course of nine hours they handle often well over 2,500 calls. The peak of their work is reached late in the morning, when professors are telephoning home their inability to attend luncheon, when instructors are begging their wives to postpone the midday meal, and when secretaries are paying each other telephonic visits. At this time four operators are required in order to facilitate this stream of varied calls.

Certain prominent members of the astute though human faculty, realizing great possibilities for new philosophical tendencies arising out of the broad-mindedness of these operators, regularly pay them social calls in which they "talk shop" and swap yarns under checkered circumstances.

There has grown up a mild myth as to the number of calls put in the University information, although an average of 25 calls an hour, or 225 calls a day, is maintained. The thing that creates a false impression as to the actual numbers is the fact that four of five people are holding their wires, and waiting in line for the chance to put their questions to the information bureau.

The operators would be greatly aided in their work if instead of asking for a specific department of the University, the caller would give the extension number. With nearly 400 different extensions, it is a nuisance to look up the desired one, and no operator can be expected to memorize them all. For this reason, the University has published a telephone directory which eliminates the time and expense of extra labor.