EMERSON LECTURES AT P.B.H. ON MINORITY ISSUE

GERMANY'S INTEREST IN POLISH PROBLEMS IS PROBED

Making as a chief point the fact that minorities would be handled better under a commission of the League of Nations similar to the mandates commission, for example, instead of by petitions to the Council, Rupert, Emerson '21, assistant professor of Government, and tutor in the Division of History, Government, and Economics conducted a discussion of this problem last evening at Phillips Brooks House. The meeting of the International Council was opened by Dr. Emerson, who gave a short summary of the present conditions and settlement arrangement's applying to this international problem.

In the discussion that followed, members of various nations took part in questioning the speaker of the evening, and minority problems of lasting significance were discussed. Germany's function as a sounding board for minority protests was brought up by one member of the meeting, and this assertion was accepted as accurate by those in attendance.

Through interest in suppressed nationalities, or possibly because of an interest in unsettled internal conditions in neighboring states, German organization of minorities, particularly those in Poland, is an important factor in bringing those problems before the attention of the world at large.

In considering the question of minority difficulty in Russia, Dr. Emerson made the point that the Bolsheviks stress to the people at large a consciousness of being proletarians instead of a national consciousness.

Efforts to class Negroes of the United States as representing a problem of minorities failed to reach settlement among the members of this Brooks House meeting.

The next meeting of the international Council will be held on March 2