HARVARD FENCERS FAIL TO CAPTURE OLYMPIC TRYOUTS

Lane and Righeimer, Harvard and Yale Graduates, Participate--Meet Held In Walker Memorial

In the finals of the New England Olympic fencing tryouts held last night at the Walker Memorial Gymnasium, Levis of the Boston A. A., a member of the 1928 Olympic fencing team, overcame all opposition to win first place.

Following him were Frank Righeimer 3L, also on the last Olympic team, and E. H. Lane '24, rated by many experts as the greatest fencer Harvard has ever produced. Busby, Yale captain, captured fourth place, and behind him were H. B. Wesselman '32, captain last year of the University team, J. H. Hurd '34, Gilbert Kerlin '33, and G. M. Yatsevitch '33.

In spite of their inexperience the University foilsmen put up a fine exhibition, displaying a sparkling brand of fencing which at times equalled that of some of the greatest masters in this country.

Hurd, who a short time ago won the New England novice championship, was particularly impressive, his brilliant parrying keeping his opponent constantly worried.

Captain R. B. Lawson '32 of the University sabre team, and H. P. Walker '33 provided the amusement of the evening when they engaged in a sabre plume bout, in which each tried to knock a plume from the other's head.

The Harvard summary follows:

J. H. Hurd '34 defeated G. M. Yatsevitch '33 5-1 and was defeated by Rigmeimer 3L 5-2, and by E. H. Lane '24 5-1. Gilbert Kerlin '33 was defeated by Levis 5-2, by H. B. Wesselman '32 5-1, and by Busby, Yale '32 5-4. G. M. Yatsevitch '33 was defeated by E. H. Lane '24 5-2 and Frank Righeimer 3L 5-3.