STUDENTS AT HARVARD FROM 46 FOREIGN LANDS

CANADA LEADS LIST OF OUTSIDE COUNTRIES HERE

Records of the geographical distribution of students coming to Harvard University during the current academic year, show attendance from every state of the United States and from 46 foreign countries or United States possessions. The ranking of the states shows the first six places unchanged, with Massachusetts leading by a large margin, New York second, Pennsylvania third, Ohio fourth, New Jersey fifth, and California sixth. Connecticut has moved up from eighth to seventh place, dislodging Illinois; Missouri has moved up from eleventh to ninth place, and Michigan and Maine are tied at tenth.

New Countries on List

Of the 46 foreign countries and United States possessions on the list, three, Abyssinia, Peru, and the Virgin Islands, are newcomers, and ten of last year's list have dropped out. Canada is as usual first, China second, Hawaii third, England fourth, France fifth, Japan sixth, Porto Rico seventh, India eighth, and Germany ninth.

Thirty-eight of the 69 Canadians are students in the Graduate School of Arts and sciences, and 18 more are students in the Business School. The majority of the Chinese, 23 out of 40, are also students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, while the remainder are enrolled in the College, Engineering, Business, Law, and Architectural Schools, and the Schools of Public Health, Landscape Architecture, and City Planning. Five of the Japanese are in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and four in the School of Public Health. Eleven of the 24 men from Hawaii are undergraduates.