"Hitler, Next to Chancellor Bruening and von Hindenburg, Has Become Most Interesting German Political Figure," Writes Fay

Hitler Has Evidently Decided His Rise to Power Must be Altogether Gentle

The suspense of Germany, its critical condition, the advance of the Hitler fascist party in the November elections, and the reforms of Chancellor Bruening form the subject of the following article reprinted from "Current History", and written by S. B. Fay '96, professor of History.

While Germany's delegates were appearing before the Young Plan advisory committee in an attempt to secure for the Reich an effective relief from reparations the country itself was beset by internal political troubles which have long been brewing and which keep the people in a state of suspense as to what is likely to happen next. Although Chancellor Bruening must have for months been aware of the growing strength of German Fascism, it was not until early in December that he took definite steps toward exercising the brown-shirted spectre which recent local elections have shown to be gaining in power and popular support.

Socialists Double Vote

In ballotting for the Hessian Diet on Nov. 15 the National Socialists more than doubled the popular vote which they cast at the Reichstag election of September, 1930, the returns indicating about 290,000 now, as compared with 138,000 fifteen months ago. This gives them thirty of the total of seventy-two seats in the new Hessian Diet, as compared with the one seat which they secured in the last local election of 1927. The Communists also made considerable gains at the expense of the Social Democrats. The voting was once more symtomatic of the political drift throughout Germany. The Roman Catholic Centre party holds it own, but the Social Democrats are losing, while many of the old small parties are being almost wiped out as their former members vote for Hitler's candidates.

Hitler's Claims Grow

With the election victories Hitler's claims and promises have swollen in proportion. He now claims that he could win 15,000,000 votes in a general Reich-stag election--more than a third of the electorate. He has been very voluble at home and to foreign correspondents concerning some of the things he will do when his followers come into power. He himself will not seek the Presidency, though he declines to say who will be his candidate or what governmental changes he will make. He will not "march on Berlin," because Berlin will have to capitulate to the overwhelming number of his followers in a legal and constitutional election sooner or later. He will respect all private commercial debts owed by Germans abroad, but he will pay no more "tribute" in the form of reparations.

Trend Toward Moderation

In general, in spite of the somewhat extravagant language in which Hitler voices his claims and promises, one notes a decided trend in the direction of moderation in the substance of his policies. If indeed his party should come into power within the next few months and he should actually have to assume responsibility, it is probable that he would move still further in the direction of moderation. It is an often-observed political fact that radicals and extremists who are loud in denunciation of their opponents while out of office become much more moderate and reasonable when they themselves get into office and have to assume serious responsibilities. So would it probably be with this dramatic young man of 44 who, next to his contemporary, Chancellor Bruening, and to the venerable President of the Reich, von Hindenburg, has now become the most interesting and powerful political figure in Germany.

Bruening's Decrees

While Hitler was going up and down the land making speeches and giving interviews to foreign correspondents Chancellor Bruening was hard at work drafting new emergency decrees to save Germany from bankruptcy, relieve depression, stimulate foreign trade, and preserve the republic from serious political and economic disorders. His long-heralded program, signed by President von Hindenburg and issued on Dec. 8, contains the following drastic provisions: House rents and the prices of standardized articles controlled by the cartels, including coal, iron and potash, are to be cut 10 per cent. Other cartel agreements are declared void. A price commissioner, who will see that the intended reductions in prices are really effected, is appointed. Official salaries in the Reich, the States and the communes are cut 9 per cent, effecting a saving estimated at $20,000,000. Wages are reduced 10 per cent. Physicians' fees are lowered and easier terms for health insurance are made available.

Interest Rates Cut

Interest rates on loans, bonds and mortgages, public and private, up to 8 per cent, are cut to 6 per cent; and those above 8 per cent are cut by a quarter to one half. The Lombard rate (interest on security loans) is reduced from 10 to 9 per cent. Parallel with these reductions, the Reichsbank is to lower its discount rate from 8 to 7 per cent. Landowners are protected against forced auction sales by the provision that no bid under 70 per cent of the property's valuation need be accepted. Some taxes are reduced but the turnover is raised from 85-100 of 1 per cent to 2 per cent. Measures against the flight of capital abroad are strengthened by the provision for various degrees of confiscation. As a special tax on those who evade German taxation by living abroad, it is decreed that these are to deliver 25 per cent of their funds invested in Germany; if they fail to pay this special tax they are to be arrested and sent to jail.

No political Uniforms

In order to prevent street disorders and demonstrations hostile to the government, the wearing of political uniforms of any kind is forbidden except in homes. In order to secure a "Christmas political truce," all political meetings and outdoor demonstrations were prohibited until Jan. 2, 1932. Three months' imprisonment is threatened to all who defame public officials. The sale of firearms and other weapons is limited and public authorities are empowered to seize those now in private hands.

Bruening Excoriates Hitlerism

In a brief radio address accompanying the issuance of these decrees, Chancellor Bruening explained that they marked the end of the post-war reconstruction measures for deflation and for improvement of Germany's distressed condition. He excoriated Hitlerism, denouncing Hitler for making claims and promises as if he represented Germany, and declaring that he himself alone could speak officially for the country.

Harsh Attitude to Hitler

The Federal Governments attitude toward Hitler was so uncompromising that he was forbidden to make a transatlantic wireless talk on Dec. 11, and the Prussian Government was reported to have threatened him with expulsion if he persisted in using Berlin as a base for his foreign propaganda. The Fascist leader left the national capital on Dec. 14, not, however, altogether because of the hostiltiy of the Bruening regime. It appears that he has been having difficulty with Paul Joseph Goebbels and Gregor Strasser, his deputies in Northern Germany, who do not approve of the "legal" methods by which their chief proposes to take over the control of the Reich. Strasser, speaking in Stuttgart on Dec. 11, promised that the reordering of the nation will be drastic. "Let no one talk to us of mercy," he said. "No mercy has ever been shown us. We shall be hard, ruthless and brutal in cleaning up the trash of the last twelve years, and we shall not yield an inch." Hitler, on the other hand, has apparently decided that the Nazi rise to power must be altogether gentle and that some sort of modification of policy must precede that accord with the present government which Chancellor Bruening's outspoken denunciations of Dec. 8 have, on the face of the matter, forced him to consider seriously.