LOVEJOY IS APPOINTED AS WILLIAM JAMES LECTURER

PLANS TO LECTURE ON CHAIN OF BEING, HISTORY OF IDEAS

Arthur Oncken Lovejoy, professor of Philosophy at Johns Hopkins University has been appointed the second incumbent of the William James Lectureship for the first half of next year, J. H. Woods '87, chairman of the department of Philosophy announced yesterday. John Dewey, professor of Philosophy, emeritus, at Columbia University, was the first eminent philosopher to be selected an William James Lecturer when the position was announced last year.

Will Give Seminary Course

Professor Lovejoy, who took his Master's degree from Harvard in 1897, is one of the most distinguished living philosophers. During the first half of the year he will conduct a seminary course in the "Theory of Meaning". At the same time he will deliver a series of eight or ten lectures on "The Great Chain of Being", and "A Study in the History of Ideas". Professor Dewey's public lectures were delivered on "Esthetics", his seminary course centered around "Logic".

Distinguished Record

Lovejoy was born in Berlin, Germany, in October, 1873, the son of the Reverend W. W. Lovejoy, of Boston. He received his education at the University of California, obtaining his A.B. in 1895. In 1897 he took his master's degree from Harvard and continued his studies at the University of Paris during 1898 and 1899. The degree of L.L.D. was bestowed upon him in 1924 by the University of California. He was an assistant professor of Philosophy at Stanford and Washington Universities before his appointment as lecturer at Columbia during 1907 and 1908.