BROOKS HOUSE REPORTS ON PARTIAL TABULATION

Commuters Indicate That Difficulty Is Financial--Questions Get Some Interesting Replies

The chief cause for students commuting to and from classes instead of living in college dormitories is a financial one, E. S. Amazeen '31, graduate secretary of the Phillips Brooks House announced yesterday. This statement was based on tabulation of 189 replies to a questionnaire sent to non-resident members of the University.

Questionnaire, accompanied by letters, had been sent to 720 men. Despite the fact that replies have been slow in coming in and represent, so far, only about one-fourth of the commuters, it is believed that a fair cross-section of student opinion has already ben obtained. Although it is too early to make any definite conclusions, it seems that non-residence in Cambridge and exclusion from the Houses are effective bars to participation in sports and other extra-curricula activities.

The thirteenth question, which asked the non-resident students to list any changes which they thought would improve the value of the college to them, brought in some interesting answers. One commuter proposed that the University establish some well-kept centrally located bulletin board where all notices could be posted. This was thought necessary because commuters never have occasion to visit Sever, the Yard dormitories, or the Houses where more or less complete boards are kept. Another protested about the lack of any central meeting place where commuters can eat with their resident college friends, or study between classes.