TEACHERS' CONFERENCE STARTS HERE THIS WEEK

"TEACHING OF ENGLISH" IS FIRST SUBJECT FOR DISCUSSION

Nine Conferences on educational problems, annually conducted by the Graduate School of Education in the interest of teachers and school officers, begin on Friday, March 11, and continue through Friday, March 18. The conferences will be open to both men and women.

The subjects of the conferences are: "Teaching of English"; "Secondary Education"; "Selection, Training and Placement of Teachers"; "Teaching of Mathematics"; "Conference with School Committees and Superintendents of Schools"; "Teaching of French"; "Instrumental Music in Schools"; "Teaching of the Social Sciences"; and "Commercial Education".

The first conference, held with the cooperation of the New England Association of Teachers of English, will begin at 4 o'clock on Friday, March 11, in Agassiz House, Radcliffe. The presiding officer is Professor J. J. Mahoney '03, of Boston University. The subject of the English conference is "The Supervision of English". Professor Charles Swain Thomas '98, associate professor of education, who arranged the program, will give a prefatory word. Following the conference there will be an informal dinner at the Commander Hotel, Cambridge, at 6.15 o'clock. The speakers will be Mr. E. W. Weeks, of the Atlantic Monthly Company, Mr. Henry Longfellow Dana '03, of Cambridge, Professor R. S. Hillyer '17, associate Professor of English, and Miss Phyllis Bottome, British novelist, author of "Devil's Due," and other stories.

At the Conference with School Committees and Superintendents of Schools, to be held on Friday evening, March 18, in Sever Hall 23, at 8 o'clock, the subject for discussion will be "The Public Schools and the Economic Crisis". P. H. Hanus, professor the history and art of teaching, Emeritus, will preside. Dr. G. C. S. Benson, instructor in Government, will speak of "Local Governmental Expenditures and Present Economic Conditions". Dr. C. H. Dempsey, Superintendent of Schools in Arlington, will speak on "Relative Values in the Public School System."

At 7.45 o'clock on Friday evening, March 18, a Conference on Commercial Education will be held in the Large Lecture Hall of the Fogg Art Museum. On the invitation of Professor F. G. Nichols, assistant professor of education, the Commercial Directors' Club of cities in the metropolitan area outside of Boston, will hold its monthly meeting as one of the conferences of the Harvard Teachers Association.

Dean T. L. Davis of Boston University, president of the American Institute for Secretaries, will give a brief statement of the aims of the Institute. There will be a preliminary report on the findings of Professor F. G. Nichols, in connection with two pieces of research. The first is a study for the Institute, to determine the exact status of the "private" or "personal secretary" with respect to duties performed, personality traits required, previous positions held, and training needed. The second is a study to determine whether or not the results of teaching commercial arithmetic a full year as a separate subject, in the early part of the high school commercial curriculum, justify a continuance of this practice. Third, a member of the Greater Boston Committee on Commercial Education will make a report of progress based on a local survey which the committee has made