PAINTINGS OF TURNER NOW SHOWING AT FOGG

Development of Art of Great Colorist Traced in April Exhibit

An exhibition of unusual interest is being offered this month by the Fogg Museum with a display of the works of Joseph Turner. The exhibit takes Turner stage by stage from the beginning of his stage career and shows in incomparable fashion the various periods of his career. Excellent examples of each period are included in the collection, which is now presented for the first time as a group.

Turner, who is perhaps the best known of the nineteenth century English painters, is particularly celebrated for the richness of his coloring. Ruskin described him as one of the "seven supreme colorists of the world." On the whole, abstraction is the keynote of his work, not only in his backgrounds, but also in the general harmony of tone. Details, however, he carries out with an appreciative exactitude.

Of especial interest is a sepia wash, which is one of the famous Liber Studiorum group. This drawing was presented to the Museum by Miss Ellen Bullard of Boston, and is the only one of the group in the country. The rest of the Liber Studiorum are in the National Gallery in London. This group of paintings was probably produced by Turner to rival Claude Lorrain, the famous French artist who drew the Liber Veritatis group.