IF THIS BE TREASON

Obviously stung by the term demagogue as applied by Alfred E. Smith, Franklin D. Roosevelt made answer Monday night in a speech at a political rally in St. Paul. Elevating his oration from a mere defence to a prolonged attack on the Republican economic program, Mr. Roosevelt reasserted his favorite criticism of the Hoover plan, reiterating the opinion that any effective solution must depend on a "policy that seeks to help all simultaneously." In an effort to give weight to his proposal, Mr. Roosevelt punctuated his address with ringing names drawn from the histories of both parties. Concluding that his was a plea, "not for a class control, but for a true concert of interest," Mr. Roosevelt brought the house to its feet by a dramatic appeal, "if that be treason, make the most of it."

The St. Paul address should have offered Mr. Roosevelt an excellent opportunity to rehabilitate his cause by offering a concrete attack on the Republican administration and the Smith proposals, and an intelligently organized, well buttressed program of his own. Nothing would have done more to dispel the stigma of demagogy than a speech of such a nature. But Mr. Roosevelt remained content to base his criticism of the Republican administration on partisan generally; his own proposals were of a platitudinous, wholly unconvincing nature. Mr. Smith's suggestions, moreover, were ignored, and Mr. Roosevelt patently refused to do battle with his accuser, referring to him only in regard to his "distinguished" service as governor of New York.

Those who expected to see Mr. Roosevelt rise to the occasion and deliver proof of his freedom from the taint of demagogy will be sadly enlghtened by this, the latest evidence of the justice of that charge. The revealing experience of a long presidential campaign has not dealt kindly with the squire of Hyde Park. The efficient executive who was once regarded as a progressive, strong official has shown himself, on this occasion at least, a man who appeals to partisan passions by platitudes, by stirring quotations,-in short, a demagogue. If Mr. Roosevelt hopes ever to grace the White House he must display to a new critical people far more recommendation than an unenviable "ability to make melodic noises and give the impression of passionately and torrentially moving onward and upward while warily standing still."