INTER-HOUSE DINING MAY BE ALLOWED IN FUTURE

SAYS ISSUE NOW RESTS IN HANDS OF THE MASTERS

At an informal meeting of the House Masters to be held this afternoon, the question of Inter-House dining, which the CRIMSON has advocated, will be considered. From Lehman Hall, it was learned that there would be no objection to any proposed change whereby one House member would be enabled to dine in another House without paying the additional guest charge.

Speaking about the problem, A. L. Endicott '94, comptroller of the University, said: "As far as this office is concerned, we are not against any move to allow inter-House dining. The matter is not to be decided by us. The whole situation lies with the House Masters. Whatever change they desire will have the cooperation of the office." From one of the House Masters it was ascertained that any trouble that extra book keeping would occasion would not be an obstacle.

Varying opinions on the question were expressed by the House Masters. One expressed belief that a change would be beneficial, and that "wider dining privileges would be extended, so that guests from one House may dine at another House without extra charge." Another repeated his conviction that "In time an innovation of this kind will be desirable, say in five years, but at the present time, too wide an extension of privileges will tend to destroy incipient House spirit."

A third House Master stated that he had "no strong convictions on the subject, since no plan which will meet all objections has yet been advanced." All definitely stated their belief that too wide an extension of dining privileges would not only upset the count which the Dining Hall kitchen uses to supply the proper quantities of food, but would injure the growth of House spirit, just as "a club's privileges cannot be infinitely extended, or it ceases to be a club." Two Masters said that they believed that the inter-House dining would further social contacts, and that acquaintances made in the Freshman year could be maintained if some arrangement were made for limited dining privileges.