HARVARD DEBATERS TO MEET SMITH TOMORROW

REFUSE OFFER TO BROADCAST A DEBATE WITH CHICAGO

In the first meeting with Smith College since 1928, the Harvard Debating Council will send, D. M. Sullivan '33 and A. E. Phillips '34, as its representatives to Northampton tomorrow evening, to defend the affirmative side of the question, "Resolved, That in the interests of the public some laws should be ignored."

The debate will depart from the customary form, as it is to be of the "cross-examination" type. In this proceedure, the first speaker on the affirmative side, Phillips, will spend approximately 18 minutes on the complete presentation of the affirmative arguments. Following his speech, the first speaker of the Smith team will be allowed eight minutes in which to cross-examine him, and attempt to break down his points. Then the presentation of the negative arguments by the second speaker from Smith will follow. Sullivan will complete the contest with a questioning of the final Smith debater.

An offer to the University Debating Council from the National Broadcasting Company, to broadcast a debate with the University of Chicago over a nation-wide hook-up, had to be refused because of the closing of the season.