REPUBLICAN CLUB ORGANIZED TO GIVE HOOVER SUPPORT

Amberg Elected President; Oest Made Vice-President -- Committee of Six Chosen at First Meeting

Supporters of the Republican Party at Harvard have organized a Republican Club which will swing into action early in the autumn, it was made known last night by Richard Hiller Amberg '33, of New York City, inaugural president of the organization.

The purpose of the Club is to persuade prominent members of the Republican Party to speak at Harvard. A mock convention will not be held due to the fact that members of the Club consider the renomination of President Hoover inevitable. Negotiations are being carried on to procure Charles Francis Adams '88, Secretary of the Navy, as the Club's first speaker, and Patrick Hurley, Secretary of War, will be invited to talk here in the course of the fall campaign.

Challenge Democratic Club

Plans are being made to hold open debates with any or all members of the Democratic Club on party issues, at an open forum to be held just prior to Election day; no action on the challenge has as yet been taken by the Democrats.

Numerous luncheons with accompanying talks by various Republican politicians will be carried on under the auspices of the Club during the campaign; several United States senators and representatives from New England are expected to speak at the gatherings, which will probably be held in the Common rooms of various Houses.

Officers of the Club who were elected at the first meeting are as follows: Amberg, president; G. F. Oest '33, vice president; A. E. Phillips '34, secretary; J. H. Ruskin '33, treasurer; F. DeW. Balmer '35, R. H. Dennison '33, C. L. Harris '34, T. W. Sharp '33, C. F. Vilter '35, and R. W. Vilter '33, members of the Committee.

A meeting of the Club to adopt a platform will be held next week.