DEAR PARKING

Amid a low huzza of Bronx cheers a gallant one-hundred-and-six Harvard men heard themselves fined for parking violations Saturday morning. Unfortunately they have no complaint, for their arrests were lawful, and there is no reason why they should have been warned, knowing Cambridge police as they do. However there should be some place where students can park their cars over night without submitting to the efficient mulcting administered by the more convenient of the Harvard Square garages.

There are a number of places about the University which might well be given a function in the local microcosm as parking lots, without interfering with traffic, or causing any other nuisance. The cul-de-sac which runs past McKinlock and Gore Halls could be used for overnight parking without difficulty if the police would promise immunity to those who use it. There is a great deal of empty space behind the Business School rather forlornly awaiting another period of prosperity, some already employed as a parking space, and the rest just begging for the expenditure of a few dollars to give it a purpose in life. Such a solution of the problem is necessary for the comfort and peace of mind of the Harvard student who now finds himself forced to economize even in his accustomed luxuries.