HISTORY 1 LEADS FIELD OF FAVORITE COURSES

GOVERNMENT DROPS FROM SECOND TO FIFTH PLACE

According to figures released at the Records Office in University Hall, yesterday, many marked changes appear in the enrollment of some of the popular courses in College.

Perhaps due to an easier College Board Examination, or possibly because of a more intelligent incoming class, English A lost its lead position to History 1, always running near the top and which this year stepped into first place with 756 enrolled, a gain of 125 over last year's figures. Government 1 dropped from second to fifth place with only 452 taking the course this year. Probably due to an interest in depression and its panaceas Economics A, with an increase of 89, jumped into third place. A growing eagerness for German, and more probably the necessity of filling Language. Requirements forced German A up one place, into fourth, with a total of 455 entered. A surprising drop, part of which may go to Philosophy A, put Mathematics A down into sixth place with only 443 enrolled as compared with a last year's total of 507. Philosophy, while gaining a good many men still held its own at the seventh level. Some surprise was felt at the rise of Astronomy 1 to 44 students, but it still remains number 12 on the list. Biology A, in spite of a drop of nine students rose to ninth position of the 12 courses of which records were available. German continued to prove an increasingly popular language, especially with incoming students, neither French, Italian nor Spanish receiving as many men. This is probably because German is more useful in Graduate work. Below is a list of the subjects and their enrollment for this year, with last year's figures in parentheses:

English A (745), 659; History 1 (631), 756; Government 1 (594), 452; Mathematics A (507), 448; German A (499), 455; Economics A (399), 488; Philosophy A (274), 296; Geology 4 (269), 201; Chemistry A (235), 190; Biology A (206), 197; anthropology 1 (61), 98; Astronomy 1 (32), 44.