The Greeks Had a Word For It

THE PRESS

It is to be hoped that the enforced curtailment of Syracuse University's intercollegiate program of sports will lend emphasis to the already developed intramural athletic schedule of events. If we have been taught to judge physical training in American institutions of higher education upon the basis of packed stadiums and over-paid coaches, then we cannot resent the fact that the most harrowing economic depression in history has served to jolt us loose from this superficial concept.

There may be a great need for trained intellects through well organized curricula and efficient and far sighted administrations, but without healthy bodies as complements to the human picture--then, all education is futile. These United States succeeded only too well during the rouge era to spread the gospel of profit for the institution at the expense and neglect of 90 per cent of the individuals who make up the institution.

It is almost too much for most of us to think that students will actually be compelled to play games with each other on their own campuses, merely for physical development and the fun of it without the immense thrill of appearing in a stadium thronged with 60,000 spectators. Someone has suggested that the athletic undergraduates may be forced to give up to study the time and talents that were meant for providing the populace with a great spectacle. Let us trust they will not use this new motive as a reason for continued hoping and praying for the return of prosperity so that college athletics may be again conducted on a fitting scale of luxury. Syracuse Daily Orange.