ENGLISH A HONOR STUDENTS EXCUSED AFTER MID--YEARS

Hillyer Hopes To Have Men Go On With Additional English Work Follows Other Alterations

All students who receive a grade of a at mid-years in English A 1 will be excused from further work in the course, it was announced late yesterday by R. S. Hillyer '17, associate professor of English, in charge of English A-1.

This action has been considered for some time and has awaited only the decision of the faculty which was given yesterday. It is understood that the change was made in accordance with the plan of the department to allow students whom they feel are proficient in English to take advanced work. This idea originated six years ago when it was voted to excuse from the course all students who received 70 per cent or higher on the entrance examination in English. Later this figure was raised to 75 per cent.

The department decided that all men who received an A at mid-years were sufficiently trained to enable them to take more advanced work if they so desired. Accordingly these men are considered as having completed their requirement in prescribed English Plans are being formulated for optional advanced work for them.

Hillyer also pointed out that those men who were admitted to the Freshmen class under the Highest seventh rule and who might have received a high mark in the English examination, had they taken it, are now given the chance of taking more advanced work in English if they receive an A grade.

The step is in line with yearly changes intended to allow the student to go ahead on his own merits.