Harvard and Princeton Resume Football Relations, Playing Initial Game in 1934

Athletic Resumption Started in 1931 Is Completed With New Gridiron Schedule

Over a month's secret negotiations between the Princeton and Harvard athletic associations culminated last night with the announcement that the two colleges would meet again in varsity football in 1934 and 1935, for the first time sine the severance of relations in 1926.

W. J. Bingham '16 and Thurston Davies, athletic directors of the two universities, issued the following joint statement: "Arrangements have been completed for two football games between Harvard and Princeton, the first to be played in the Cambridge on November 3, 1934, and the second in Princeton on November 9, 1935.

Yale May Play Harvard Last

This sudden action followed the announcement last Saturday that Princeton would play Dartmouth in 1933 and 1934, for the first time since 1916 with the 1934 clash occurring on the same date as the Harvard-Yale game. Inasmuch as Yale's rotating agreement with Princeton ends after 1933. It is quite possible that Yale's and Harvard will agree to return to the old system of completing their respective schedules with a mutual encounter, beginning with the 1934 game already scheduled. In that case it is expected that Princeton might continue to climax its season with a game against Dartmouth.

The arrangement for the Harvard Princeton game in 1934 was made possible by the athletic officials of the U. S. Naval Academy, who courteously agreed to intermit the Navy-Princeton series in the fall of that year and thus leaves date open for Princeton to meet Harvard.

Harvard and Princeton men last football in 1926, when the Tiger trimmy 12.0. Athletic relations between the two colleges were severed on November 10 of that year, and were not resumed until February 12, 1931, when is was announced that competition would be assumed in all sports, with the exception of football as soon as the schedules permitted. At that time Harvard intimated its willingness to resume football relations with Princeton, but under the condition that such a resumption would necessitate the rotation of Princeton and Yale as final game opponents.

The Harvard football schedule for 1931 will now be as follows: October 6 Bares October 18, Brown; October 26 Holy Cross: October 27. Dartmouth November 18, New Hampshire November 24, Yale at New Haven.

The revised Princeton schedule 1984 is October 8, Amherst; October Williams October 20. Washington Lee: October 27; Cornell November Lehigh: November 17. Yale at Princeton; November 24, Dartmouth 8; Princeton