LOWELL FLAYS HOOVER RECOGNITION DOCTRINE

MORAL FORCE HAS APPROVED UNABLE TO STOP JAPAN

"It is easier to keep a bond from a dog than it is to take it from him once he has it," stated President Lowell speaking before 600 members of the Foreign Policy Association after a luncheon in the Copley Plaza Hotel on Saturday. He expressed his disapproval of the stand of the United States under the Hoover-Stimson doctrine of non-recognition of the gains of territorial aggression, declaring that instead of preventing war it will tend to lead the world into war. "The way to stop war," he continued, "is to settle its causes before they develop. The Hoover-Stimson policy has made things worse. It tends to create in festering sore which may lead to war."

Public Opinion Ineffective

President Lowell made it plain that he does not criticize the present Administration for failing to recognize the Manchoukuo Government, but for its announcement that it will never recognize gains made by any nation as a result of aggression. "Never before," he said, "has world public opinion been more unanimous on a subject, yet world public opinion has been unable to stop Japan. Nor has the Hoover-Stimson policy had any effect in stopping Japan."

"If the object of non-recognition is merely an expression of disapproval," he continued, "it amounts only to making a threat and not keeping it. This may be regarded as fully as dangerous in international affairs as in private life."