LANE SCORES AGAINST JAYVEES IN PRACTICE

SQUAD HAS LONG PRACTICE AND SCRIMMAGE WITH JAYVEES

With all members of the Varsity "A" team reporting for practice for the first time since the Bates game last Saturday, Coach Eddie Casey put the Varsity through a long drill followed by a 40-minute scrimmage at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon.

Francis Lane contributed the only genuine score of the day after Leon Francisco had blocked and recovered a Jayvee punt. The Jayvees had been given the ball on their own 25-yard line, and on their attempt to kick out of danger Francisco broke through to block the punt. With Lane, Dean, and Adzigian carrying the ball the Varsity advanced to the Jayvee 15-yard line in a series of short rushes. Then another first down brought the pig-skin to the three-yard line, and Lane went over for the tally.

After this the Varsity was twice given the ball on the 25-yard line and both times scored. Play was rather ragged throughout the afternoon, though the Jayvees put on a pretty good exhibition. There will be another scrimmage today, and the team will have a workout tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock.

The Varsity "A" lineup was as follows: White (Cheek), l.e.; Francisco, l.t.; Crane (Gulian), l.g.; Casey, c.; Gundlach, r.g.; Kopans, r.t.; Nazro, r.e.; Wells (Haley), q.b.; Lane (Beale), r.h.; Locke (Adzigian, Litman), l.h.; Dean, f.b.