DUX FEMINA FACTI

The parietal rules which govern the reception of women in college dormitories have been intelligently revised in the past year. But the machinery through which room permissions are secured still remains cumbersome and needlessly involved, a sort of haunting forget-me-not inherited from an age and a people who spiced their moral restrictions with a good New England imagination. In all the Houses, save Adams and Dunster, for instance, it is necessary to procure such permissions from the Senior Tutor or House Secretary twenty-four hours before the artful female is to inject her touch of potential scandal between sober Georgian walls.

This rule is not a regimentation. It is not even dictatorial. It is merely a auisance to all concerned. The student must be sure of his plans a day ahead of time; he must, in many instances, seek out that elusive figure, the Senior Tutor, who must, in turn, submit to constant interruption in the name of moral order. This is not necessary. In any case, the Janitor remains the watchdog, and the twenty-four hour rule can have no other justification than Puritanism. The Janitor, moreover, is a handy fellow, easily and always accessible. There seems to be no good objection to a system which would permit students to register for permissions at his office and at the time when those permissions are to be used.