AUTOMOBILES: MOVING

The announcement of the University that it considers the question of parking place closed leaves matters at an impasse, satisfying to no one but the garagemen. One thing, however, is clear: apparently Lehman Hall believes that it has a heaven sent duty to protect and further the avarice of Cambridge's leading profiteers, and it closes its eyes completely to the exorbitant prices which they charge. Consequently, at this time, the garage owners are still battening off the students, and stretching out grasping tentacles to encircle those who balk at such extortionist tactics.

A comparison of Cambridge prices with the average price prevailing in Boston reveals the fact that rates in the metropolis are about thirty three per cent lower; the usual charge here is twelve dollars a month, while the average fee of Boston garages amounts to eight dollars. The car tenders of the Square have given the excuse that they have been forced to raise prices due to the NRA; this seems merely a feeble evasion which collapses with a sickening thud when faced with the fact that the garage men's code has not yet been signed, and that Boston garages are awaiting this before raising their rates.

In an attempt to add insult to injury, Cantabrigian garagemen have called in the bilious gargoyles of the local constabulary to force the cars of students off streets; this duty they have accomplished with a maximum of asininity, officiousness, and impoliteness. Their excuse that the fire hazard makes it necessary to do this attains a truly remarkable degree of thinness when it is considered that cars can be parked on the streets all day long without creating any fire hazard. Realistically viewed, these activities of the police amount to nothing more nor less than a racketeering expedition for the benefit of the garage men.

While this policy may temporarily enrich the garages they will presently discover that they are killing the goose that laid the golden egg, for the students are not likely to submit to a combination of robbery and coercion without doing a great deal of bellicose kicking. There is, in fact, but one way to remedy the situation, and that is for all men concerned to indulge in renewed and violent protests. These could easily be strengthened by a boycott of the Square garages; men might transfer their patronage to Central Square or elsewhere. Certainly it is by this time evident that nothing but the most vigorous action will accomplish anything, and that this must be done by the students themselves.