FOR JOHN HARVARD

The announcement by the Business School of its special session contains a promise of splendid generosity and unstinting philanthropy which is among the best of the day's empty gestures. The brochure on the subject has it that the purpose of the session is to mend the morale of unfortunate unemployed young businessmen, at least of those able to raise six hundred dollars for tuition and enough for additional expenses.

This measure is purely and simply one designed to fill the dormitories on the right bank of the Charles, and the attempt to clothe it in the gleaming armour of a noble motive is unpleasant. It is, however, typical of the official Harvard hypocritical pose on a number of matters. The same smug assumption of generosity characterizes the University's distribution of scholarships and jobs. The scholarships are the work of philanthropists most of whom have passed to their reward, and are beyond the reach of deserved thanks; student aid in the form of jobs comes mostly from the pockets of those who patronize the dining halls, but no one ever suggests recognizing them. Wreathed in benignant smiles this or that salaried official graciously accepts the gratitude of beneficiaries.

There is no real barrier to being intelligent about the matter. The present attitude is of little importance, for everyone knows that the Business School acts pragmatically, and that the kind donors of scholarships do not hold down petty jobs. Since these things are matters of general knowledge, there is no barrier to giving John Harvard and his fellow philanthropists their just due frankly and fairly.