VARSITY SQUAD ON ITS TOES IN BEST PRACTICE OF YEAR

Jayvee Back Goes to Varsity--Will Be Used as Guard or Tackle Instead of Playing Former Position

By R. W. Paul

Showing more spark and looking more on their toes than at any time previously this season, the Varsity football squad was put through a long scrimmage and practice session at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. Coach Eddie Casey drilled the entire squad on the weaknesses revealed in Monday's scrimmage, in which the Jayvees ran through the Varsity for a touchdown.

Practice started off with a long drill on fundamentals lasting one hour and a half. Passing, pass defense, line play, and blocking were stressed. When the team lined up for a stationary scrimmage, it was revealed that three of the Seniors, Nazro, Waters, and Crane, had been excused from practice because of divisional exams.

At the same time George Comfort was promoted from the Jayvees to the Varsity for his good playing in Monday's scrimmage. Comfort, who played on last year's Freshman outfit, has been in the Jayvee backfield so far this season, but Casey plans to convert him into a guard or tackle. He was started at right tackle on "C" team in today's scrimmage.

In the stationary scrimmage in which all plays were started from the 30-yard line, the whole Varsity team looked like a different outfit from the group the Jayvees mauled the day before. Francis Lane did a particularly good job; Dean, Nevin, and Casey were all on their toes. All the plays that will be used in the Eates game this Saturday were tried out, and Casey sent three full teams against the Jayvees during the afternoon's workout. On "A" team Lane was given a tryout as No. 3 back (left halfback) with Dean at No. 1 and Nevin at No. 2. No 3 is the running back position and Lane seemed to fit it pretty well.

The Varsity "A" lineup was as follows: Choate, l.e.; Francisco, l.t. Gulian, l.g.; Casey, c.; Gundlach, r.g.; Kopans, r.t.; Kelly, r.e.; Wells, q.b.; Lane, l.h.b.; Nevin, r.h.b.; Dean, f.b.