THE FREE PRESS

The Squabble between publishers and General Johnson is typical of the current reaction against the National Recovery Act. There is, it seems, a section of the permanent code which allows the president to license certain industries if "destructive wage or price cutting or other activities contrary to the policy of" NIRA should exist in them. Newspapers, sensing here a possible threat to journalistic freedom, demand that this offending fragment be struck out or amended in some way before their individual code is signed.

But investigation of the matter reveals that the press is catching at a straw. Its only danger, if any, lies in the possible exploitation in the misty future of an unfortunately worded phrase. As General Johnson strove to make clear in his recent address at Chicago, neither President Roosevelt nor the NRA has harbored the slightest intention of limiting or licensing newspapers in any way. On the contrary, the present administration has thus far distinguished itself by its willingness, even its desire, to see the light of publicity thrown unrestricted on every phase of its activity. But even if the chief executive or his successor should desire to use this technicality as a means of throttling the organs of public opinion, it is absolutely inconceivable that a supreme court would impute legality to an act directly contrary to the first amendment of the Constitution.

In view of this, the attitude of the American press fails to achieve the dignity of a crusade against oppression. It is simply in accord with the weak and vacillating policy, following the mob rather than leading it, which characterizes American journalism in times of great crisis. Perhaps the NRA may succeed; perhaps it may fail. Until something definite happens, however, editorial pens will shake warily with every tremor of public opinion, and, like the biblical character, blow neither hot nor cold.