86 Per Cent of Business School Men Given Jobs Upon Graduation in 1933

In a recent statement to the CRIMSON, Dean Baker of the Business School emphasizes the fact that the institution does not train men in the practical side of business. Its fifty odd courses aim rather to give a fundamental approach to business problems which will help an individual in whatever branch he takes up.

The School permanently placed 86 per cent of their men last year. Such a record shows not only that jobs are still forthcoming but that men who received training here were wanted. It is to be noted that a large number of the class went into banking where many obtained commanding positions. Leadership, says Dean Baker, is vitally needed in the economic world of today, and one of the chief purposes of the Business School is to train men in this all-important quality.

Although the number of entrants has decreased during the last four or five years, there is still the same distribution from all parts of the country. Dean Baker points out with good reason that a Harvard education is the finest preparation for the Business School, and that with such a training behind him an entrant will have little difficulty in adjusting himself to its methods.

The burden of expenses has been greatly relieved through the work of the Loan Fund. A man may borrow $300 the first year, and $600 the second. In addition, there are fifty-three service scholarships for poor men, not to mention numerous Alumni Club scholarships.

The question of whether a man should prepare himself for the Business School by taking certain courses in Harvard is one often asked. According to the Dean, there is no need for this unless the individual is really interested in such a field as Economics. The Business School naturally teaches the practical application of economic principles but a though groundwork in this line is not necessary He advises future business candidates to major in the field which interests them most, adding that one or two Economics courses plus a half-year of accounting might stand them in good stead.

History or English are pointed out as excellent fields for those who believe themselves bound for business but are still undecided as to concentration. Writing and a thorough acquaintance with his native language will help a man no matter what occupation he takes up. History is important in developing a keen perspective for current events.

Harvard undergraduates are cordially invited to attend a few lectures at the school and find out what it is trying to accomplish.