PLAN RALLY TO BE STAGED ON FRIDAY BEFORE ELI GAME

Getchell Denies Giving Permission To Use Soldiers Field--Anti-Rally Group Formed Last Night

Definite plans to hold a rally on Friday evening before the Yale game were made last night by a small unofficial group. It has been decided to start with a meeting of Freshmen in the Yard, then parade down to Memorial Drive and march by the Houses to the John W. Weeks Bridge. From there the procession will cross the river to the neighborhood of Soldiers Field, where to "Sons of Eli" will be burned in effigy. The Harvard Band agreed last night to march, with the parade.

Contrary to reports published in Boston papers last night, the H.A.A. has not given the rally organizers permission to use Soldiers Field. Carroll F. Getchell, business manager of the H.A.A., who was quoted as having officially told the rally group that they might use the field, denied that he had made any statements on the matter. He said that he merely referred the group to William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, on whom will rest the final decision. Bingham is now in Washington, and could not be reached last night, but it was officially stated at the H.A.A. that permission to use the Field has not been granted.

The movement for a celebration before the Yale game was suggested by the meeting held in the Union last Saturday before the Freshman encounter with the Elis. Committees have been organized in the Yard and in all the Houses for the purpose of arousing interest in the affair. Last night the Harvard Band agreed to join the ralliers on their march from the Yard to the further side of the river, and the ralliers hope to induce some of the coaches and players to attend. The exact location of the place where the "Sons of Eli" will be burned at the climax of the meeting has not been determined.

In an effort to prevent what it called "a reversion to the silliness of a past era," an anti-rally committee was formed yesterday. In its platform the committee stated, "This committee is form- ed for the protection of Harvard Indifference. It feels that pep meetings and other stupid exhibitions are more suited to colleges whose pinciple claim to glory is football excellence. Harvard need not imitate her inferiors. Let us not revert to the silliness of a past era nor descend to the level of the jerkwater. Let us remain gentlemen, and let Harvard remain a place above such callowness." This statement was subscribed to by a committee of 12 students. The students were: John L. Burling '34, Thomas Marvell '35, David L. Krupsaw '34, Herbert E. Robbins '35, Just Lunning 2G, Harold S. Saxe '34, Richard M. Goodwin '34, Richard B. Schlatter '34, Daniel J. Boorstin '34, Beverley M. Bowie '35, Edward T. Canby '34, Charles S. B. Eraley, Jr. '34