VARSITY DEFEATS TECH, 4-1, OPENING PROMISING SEASON

Ragged Playing Relieved by Clever Individual Performances Mark Very Poorly Attended Game

A third period drive by the Crimson ice forces that broke the tie hauging over from the second frame swept Harvard to a 4-1 victory over M.I.T. in its opening game at the Boston Arena last night before a small crowd of only a few hundred fans. Arthur F. Duffey, Jr. '36 was high scorer of the evening, totaling one goal and one assist.

The game was characterized by ragged playing and many individual sallies down the ice. No particular players were outstanding, but Coach Joe Stubbs' Sophomores have stood their Varsity baptism of fire well, and bid fair to be the backbone of the team.

Beale Scores

A lone rush by Benjamin Beale '34 early in the first frame resulted in the opening score of the evening, and left Harvard out in front at the end of the period, 1-0. Tech came back in the second with a power play to draw Kenneth C. Mittell '34 out of the goal long enough for Goodwin, Engineer right winger, to slip the puck into the net.

The Crimson first wall found themselves in the last period, and Wyndham Hasler '34 managed to break the 1-1 deadlock with a tally only 52 seconds after the whistle. Samuel R. Callaway '36 and Duffey, taking an example from the pass combination of Benjamin H. Hallowell '36 and Albert S. Dewey '36, which worked well but in vain, slid the rubber down the ice, with Callaway finally sending it into the M.I.T. draperies after 4 minutes and 24 seconds of play. Duffey himself contributed the fourth score a few minutes later without the aid of his teammates.

Coach Stubbs used his goalies at the rate of one a period, and judging from the calibre of the work in this department, he has nothing to worry about. Captain deGive started out in the net, turning in an errorless record. He was replaced by Mittell in the second stanza, and the latter gave way in the last to Ashton Emerson '36, who warded off more rubber than the other two put together. The summary: HARVARD  M.I.T. Hasler, Kirkland, Duffey, l.w.  l.w., Williams, Notman, Thompson Beale, Dewey, Callaway, c.  c., Daley, Healey Holmes, Hallowell, Lincoln, r.w.  r.w., Goodwin, Mayo Gleason, Claflin, l.d.  l.d., Sylvester, Mathias Watts, Choate, r.d.  r.d., Hrones, Johnson deGive, Mittell, Emerson, g.  g., Milliken

Score--Harvard 4, M. I. T. 1. Goals--First period: Beale (13.46). Second period: Goodwin (10.05.) Third period: Hasler (0.52), Callaway (Duffey) (4.24), Duffey (10.49). Penalties--Williams (tripping), Goodwin (tripping), Daley (tripping), Sylvester (roughing), Lincoln (tripping), Hallowell (roughing), Choate (roughing). Time--Three 20-minute periods.