SWIMMING TEAM OPENS SEASON WITH BOWDOIN

STOWELL LEADS STRONG GROUP OF VETERANS

Embarking on a long, twelve-meet schedule, the Varsity swimming team is favored to open its 1933-34 season with a victory over Bowdoin tonight at 8.15 o'clock in the Indoor Athletic Building Pool. Despite the loss of Robert D. Fallon '33, and Benton S. Wood '33, the Crimson natators, bolstered by several of last year's Freshman stars, may look forward to a fairly successful season.

On the starting block for the 200-yard freestyle event, will be Edward C. Devereaux '34, and Abbot W. Sherwood '35, both of whom saw plenty of service last year. Devereaux, who has swum over this distance in nearly every meet in the last two years, will also be on hand when the quarter-mile starts, but it is likely that Ulan will use John L. Ward '34, and Richard G. Dorr '36 instead, unless the Maine swimmers show unexpected strength, and pile up a larger score than the dope would imply.

Roy S. Wallace '35, and George S. Scott '34 will start the 50-yard sprint, facing Bowdoin's sole star, Carson, the Maine hope in both this event and the dive. Wallace, who established a Freshman record for the furlong when he swam against Yale for the 1935 outfit, teamed with Fallon over this stretch last season. In the century sprint, George Wightman '34, and Herbert M. Howe '34, both experienced men, will carry the Crimson colors.

After an informal competition yesterday, Howard S. Bowen '35, and Henry K. Fitts '36, were chosen to enter the dive tonight, while F. Merriam '36, temporarily eliminated, will stand by.