PROBLEM OF COMMUTERS CONSIDERED BY P. B. H.

KOTSCHNIG AND KARPOVITCH TO SPEAK BEFORE STUDENTS

Interesting sidelights on the work of Phillips Brooks House were obtained at a meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday evening. The greater part of the time was spent in a discussion over the commuter problem, since P.B.H. at present has the burden and responsibility of feeding a large number of these men in rather inadequate quarters at lunch time.

In addition, several of the chairmen of the committees submitted reports on their activities, past and present. Some of the reports are given below as examples of P.B.H. work.

Law Committee

The following lectures by prominent members of the bench and bar have been scheduled for 1933-34. Robert T. Bushnell '18, for eight years Middlesex County District Attorney, will speak on December 13. Frank J. Loesch, chief prosecuting attorney to clean up Chicago gangs, will talk January 16. Earle W. Evans, president of the American Bar Association, talks February 8.

Foreign Students

Plans are on hand for two international council meetings to be held in the Houses. At the first meeting on Monday, December 11, the speaker will be Dr. Walter Kotschnig of the International Students Service, who will speak on recent German political developments in their relation to student life. Michael Karpovitch, lecturer in History, will speak at the second meeting which will be held on Monday, December 19. The Foreign Students Committee will provide ushers for the New England Model League of Nations meeting early in March and will cooperate with the Model League of Nations meeting.

Social Service

During November the Social Service Committee has placed 39 more men in settlement houses. With the help of the Cambridge Family Welfare Society, 40 Thanksgiving baskets were delivered. At least one member of the committee has been attending the bi-weekly luncheons of the Boys Workers' Federation of Greater Boston.