Sixty Per Cent of Tutors Favor Establishment of Double Degree

Majority Are Dissatisfied With System, However--Divergent Estimates of Value Given

The establishment of two degrees, one an Honors degree with tutorial instruction and general examinations and the other a pass degree with both of these features optional, is recommended by 60 per cent of the tutors answering Question 11 of the recent CRIMSON questionnaire. 150 tutors out of the total number of 250 replied.

Seventy tutors answered in the affirmative, favoring the double degree, while 46 opposed it and 28 retrained from answering the question directly. Sharp differences of opinion were manifested in regard to the double degree, many tutors giving extended answers which have been published in the CRIMSON during the last few weeks.

Approximately half of the tutors expressed themselves as being not wholly satisfied with the tutorial system but opposed to drastic changes. Forty-three were generally satisfied, while only 22 favored drastic changes.

Number Benefited From Tutorial

The estimates of the number of men benefiting from tutorial instruction vary widely among the tutors. Forty-four tutors placed the number above 75 per cent, while 38 estimated between 50 per cent.

In answer to Question 8, 85 tutors, a fair majority, declared that they do not as a rule have their tutees make up written reports for them. Thirty-six regularly require reports, while 21 retrained from answering or were noncommittal. Where tutors gave extended answers which have appeared among the general comments, the answers have in some cases been omitted in the tabulation above