Fees, Mr. Hemenway

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The Athletics-for-all policy takes another blow from the B.A.A. Having weathered the opposition to the charges for the use of the new gymnasium, the Association now practically doubles the charge. It is doing this by keeping the price for a half year participation ticket at the same level as that for a full year ticket.

This move, or rather lack of action, is unreasonable, unfair, unprofitable, and inconsistent with the Association's action in reducing the price of H.A.A. books for the remainder of the year. It appears that it is charging what the traffic will bear, a policy which is entirely inconsistent with an Athletic for All policy. It figures that students will not but H.A.A. books at the full price, but that they probably will buy participation tickets at the same old price. That this reasoning is unjustified may be seen by considering the fact that many students did not think it worthwhile to pay the full price are practically the only ones who would be interested in buying tickets now.

The H.A.A. might do well to consider elasticity of demand, for it would be much better to sell many tickets at $2.50 and $5 than to treasure a collection of valuable $5 and $10 tickets. The very few people who might pay the full price at this late date after foregoing the possession of a ticket for a half year, do not warrant the maintenance of these prices to the fact that many others prices in face of the fact that many others shave been awaiting a reduction of the price in order to get a half year of Athletics-for-the Athletics-for all for them selves. M. M. Levine '33.