GRANTS STATE SQUASH WIN WEEKEND FEATURE

THREE RACQUET TEAMS LOSE 3-2 TO UNION BOAT CLUB

Grant's match in the State squash championship race was the highlight of the weekend athletic events. Defeating Patterson of the Business School, 3-2 in a tight five-game match, he is the worthy successor to Beekman Pool '32, who has won this tournament for the last two years, and who just won the New York State crown.

The play was characterized by the unusual freedom of the two men in giving way so that the one hitting the ball would have plenty of room to make a shot. As a result, both players put more into the match than is generally seen. In the middle of the third game, the capacity gallery was thrilled by a brilliant, three-minute rally.

Grant Plays Versatile Game

At the end of the third game, which was the most hard-fought, Grant changed his game from an unsafe, soft-shot affair, to a versatile play featured by fierce driving.

The Varsity A and B teams and the Freshman D team all lost to the experienced Union Boat Club teams, 3 to 2 in every instance. Grant and F.L. Young '33 won their games in the A team match, but the other three were defeated after hard playing.

H.V. Blaxter '33 and S.G. Haskins '35 scored for the University when they defeated their Boat Club opponents. Two of the matches in this contest were defaulted to the club men. The Freshman D team played its hardest, but was outclassed by the Union Boat Club.