GOODY

The men at Yale, according to an evening paper, are angered because nine of their maids have been dismissed by the authorities. The indignation now reigning amidst the New Haven student body, it appears, is due to the fact that the remaining maids have to divide among themselves the work of the victims, as well as to undergraduate displeasure at the dismissal itself. The maids have to care for about forty-five rooms, on a salary of about eight dollars a week under the present arrangement. The students, to combat the decision, have been gathering in fraternities and dormitories to frame petitions, while it is understood that a protest will appear in the next issue of the Harkness Hoot.

Like the majority of undergraduate flurries at New Haven., the present manifestation may be taken humorously, and considered from the point of view of organized indignation it richly deserves that fate. Probing below the superficial aspects of the problem, however, certain important questions do arise. In the first place, it is undeniable that budgets must be cut; this may be a valuable method of reaching that end. Furthermore, though it is evident these the goodies wages are low, it is equally evident to authorities that they are not always fanatically jealous in the fulfillment of their duties.

Of course, it is possible that the whole altitude of the colleges in this matter has been a mistaken one; it is a conceivable chance that an increase in pay might give the employers in this case a greater range of material from which to choose. Considering the potential top wage, however, it is improbable that this would be the event. In general, the chance is that the goodies, now provided with suitable subject of conversation, will spend more of their time in interminable objection than in doing the work of their departed colleagues. And if the innovation accomplishes nothing more, it has at least made its mark; Yale is excited.