ELI EXPANSION

Ambitious in its proportions and Notre Dameish in the variety and range of high-powered opponents is Yale's newly announced 1934 football schedule. The season begins with Columbia and down to the final encounter with Harvard there is a fine array of glamorous opponents including Army, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Dartmouth, without a single game on the roster which might be termed a "breather." This action is a radical reversal of the sedate athletic policy recently heralded at Yale, providing for a definite emphasis on intramural athletics.

Unquestionably the magnificent new Eli schedule is a direct result of the reputed $100,000 odd deficit which occurred in this year's athletic budget. Only in this way can such a top heavy exploitation of football be accounted for.

Harvard men will naturally first inquire whether Yale's action will result in the Blue's team becoming definitely superior to the Crimson one. This point is open to question, but such a stiff schedule of games will naturally result in more thorough, even if unofficial, late summer training, and probably an improvement in calibre. Enthusiastic Harvard alumni will as a result probably demand that Harvard follow Yale's action with like steps. As a matter of fact, a glance at the Crimson schedule will show that it is heading in that direction, with six hard and two easy games in 1934, in contrast to five hard and three easy ones in 1933.

It is not advisable that Harvard follow Yale for purely economic reasons, as such action would constitute a reversal of Harvard's newer policy which stresses "athletics for all." If financial stringencies point inevitably toward such a stop in order to balance the H.A.A. budget, it is time once more to demand a sane budget founded on an endowment fund made possible through strict economies and a fixed revenue realized by the placement of a standard fee on all undergraduate term bills.