DUNSTER HOUSE

The article on Dunster House which appears in today's CRIMSON is a thorough and adequate description of the House as it stands now in its third year. The fact that the House has gradually become an independent unit is due not merely to long stretches of windy side-walks and tenement house barriers, but also to a quite pardonable feeling of self-satisfaction on the part of the residents at their "splendid isolation." As a result undergraduates as a body have not felt it so strongly their duty to participate in all the inter-House sports as have the members of other Houses.

That the residents of Dunster House have sufficient cause for this self-satisfaction is not to be denied. The freedom from regulations, the lack of formalities, the comparative excellence of the cuisine, the completeness of the library, and the high calibre of the tutors have all gone far in making this House an extremely pleasant place in which to live. For those, however, who have desired something more than this in the way of House activity, but have lacked the energy of suggestion or action, the few concerts, discussions, and dances have hardly proved sufficient.

Whether Dunster House is to be severely criticized for what has been called indifference to inter-House activities, but which may be more suitably interpreted as independence, is doubtful, for in the course of time the Houses are bound to tend towards autonomy, and their own distinctive characters. There is perhaps more cause for alarm in that Dunster House, in its internal activities, has not taken fuller advantage of the opportunities which life in the Houses was intended to provide.